Swimming For Your Dog's Health, Recovery Or Recreation
Dog Swim Spa is a custom made dog swimming/spa pool built on our 10 acre property in Templeton, Christchurch, only 6km from Hornby Mall.
We thought the dog swim spa was a great idea for our aging German Shepherds after seeing them get stiff and sore in their back legs.
When we finally decided to build it we knew our dogs would not be content to be put on a hoist and made to swim in one place, so we made our pool slightly bigger at 5 metres long, which was larger than the others we had seen. The dog can actually swim and feel like it is getting somewhere.
Originally built for our own use, several people thought it was such a good idea that others would want to use it, so we have opened it up for dog owners who wish to gain the benefits of it. We have swum dogs ranging from west highland terriers, poodles and bichons - to border collies and rottweilers.
This is an owner 'hands on' concept so bring old clothes and be prepared to get wet! The first session is free so you can be sure your dog enjoys it.
Why Swim Your Dog?
Swimming is great therapy for dogs with injuries or arthritisSwimming is a low impact form of exercise, so it is easy on the joints. Some of the benefits of swimming in a lovely heated pool are:
* recovery from illness or surgery in a controlled environment
* exercise with hip, leg and muscle problems
* assists with trying to lose weight; exercise is often hard for obese dogs
* helps dogs with joint problems exercise - increasing the strength of the tendons and ligaments e.g. arthritic dogs
* aerobic conditioning - swimming is great cross training - improve fitness and stamina
* improved cardiovascular fitness
* gentle exercise for older dogs
* warm and controlled environment to teach puppies to swim with confidence
* great fun and relaxing too